Paneling

Old 04-14-03, 06:15 PM
Nadine
Visiting Guest
Paneling

Can I install paneling in the bathroom? I noticed that Lowe's has 1/4" RTP panel. What does RTP stand for? I have an area above the shower stall, that usually does not get wet, however, being a bathroom, there is moisture. Will the water damage the paneling? Also, do I have to prep the wall? My bathrooms are drywall. Right now I'm removing wallpaper, do I need to remove it if I'm planning on putting up paneling?

Thanks for your help.

Nadine

Old 04-14-03, 06:53 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Like anything else in a bathroom, it needs to be properly painted and caulked to keep water from making contact with the wood. I would prime and paint the first coat before putting it up. Be sure that you have an adequate exhaust fan. You should be able to apply the panels over the wallpaper.

RTP may mean Ready To Paint, but I am not sure.

Old 04-15-03, 07:39 AM
Nadine
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. One more question, do I need to put any backing on the drywall before I put up the paneling?

Nadine

Old 04-15-03, 08:40 AM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Nadine
Thanks for your reply. One more question, do I need to put any backing on the drywall before I put up the paneling?

Nadine

are you putting this panelling on the ceiling? or the walls.

Old 04-15-03, 02:16 PM
Nadine
Visiting Guest
I'm putting the paneling on walls.

Old 04-15-03, 05:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The drywall should have some finish on it. If you remove the wallpaper and clean the surface, a coat of paint would not hurt. But the wallpaper would be coming off with the top layer of dry wall if the wall were not primed or sized beforehand. Therefore, coating the drywall seems unnecessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: