cedar cvs. pine wood siding

Old 05-22-03, 08:05 AM
cweaver73
Visiting Guest
cedar vs. pine wood siding

I want to use a wood clapboard siding for my old barn.

I assumed cedar was the way to go, but i learned that I can buy Pine siding for $.30 per foot whereas Cedar is $.83.

in a related question, in either case it was reccommended I prine all sides before installing (or buy pre-primed). I thought primng only without final coat was not recommended . . does this not apply to back-prming? will a factory prime do a better job than DIY?

I was going to side with "rough" side showing. Does it matter?

Would you folks spend the extra money on cedar? any other choices I should consider?

thanks for your opinions

Last edited by cweaver73; 05-22-03 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-03, 11:45 AM
Cool

Have you checked out pressure-treated pine vs. cedar? Although you can prime it, paint it, stain it, seal it, etc. if you want, it isn't necessary if you want to get a gray weathered barnboard look.
If it is treated by an AWPB member (and stamped with the AWPB logo), p-t pine should have a 50-year limited warranty, and be less expensive than cedar.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-22-03, 12:20 PM
cweaver73
Visiting Guest
I called a couple places and none had in stock PT pine . . unless you meant using 1x boards . . . . I am looking for that classic horizontal siding look to complement my 1850 newly painted proper cape.

the pine that was quoted to me ($.30)comes from a local mill here in maine.

Old 05-22-03, 10:01 PM
Given you're local climate, I'd think cedar would out last pine, but nearly 3 times as long, I doubt it. I'd go with the pine siding from a local mill over the cedar.

I'd say primer it your self prior to insallation, apply at least 2 coats of finish paint after it's up. Be sure to use a god quality primer & paint, talk to local paint store for recommendation on good paint that will hold up in the rather harsh climate of the NE coast. Personally I'd go with oil-based, but they may recommend a latex because of the cold winter temps & moisture from the coast.

Old 05-23-03, 04:16 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I've used white pine ( I assume that's what you'll be getting also) as siding on numerous barns and shed around my place over the years. It does fine. I cut a tapered 8" siding that runs from 1/4" on the thin edge to 3/4" on the thick edge. I have a Woodmizer sawmill that I do this on.....

I use an oil base grey-blue stain one time so it will match when the natural greying starts to take over. Never primed it or anything special....

You can't tell it from cedar when done, and if I was buying it, I definitely wouldn't go cedar. I put cedar ( 1x8 channel rustic) on my mom's house in the early 80's and it didn't hold up as well....it came 'pre dipped' in Cabot oil based stain from the lumber yard.