Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

J. Hardie cement board siding application

J. Hardie cement board siding application

Old 06-20-03, 05:46 AM
Tana
Visiting Guest
Unhappy J. Hardie cement board siding application

Does anyone out there have experience applying James Hardie cementboard siding?? Will be removing 30 yr. old hardboard and replacing with this plus Hardie random shingle siding on front of house. Have a fact sheet but wonder about any tips you may have. We are 60+ and it looks like quite a job. Extremely heavy and easy to break one of the long boards. Any tips about cutting or applying would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 10:21 AM
I installed some on a 3 season porch about 3 years ago and am going to start on the front of my house shortly after the 4th of July. I used the HardiePlank on the porch and will use the same thing on the house.

My biggest problem was cutting; I used carbide blades in a skil saw. When cutting that way, you get a cloud of dust you won't believe! You have to wear a dust mask and eye protection for sure and your neighbors may start using your name in vain . You will also go through more blades than you can count! The answer, according to Hardie and 2 contractors I talked to, is to buy an electric shear for cutting. Works kind of like a scissors and produces no dust to speak of. I intend to buy one when I get started. Cost is around $250, but I figure I'd spend close to that in carbide blades using a skil saw. Besides, I just don't want to deal with all that dust again. They tell me a set of blades for the shear will last for about 3 good size houses.

I really didn't have any trouble with breakage on those 12' long pieces. Just have to use a little care and be sure to carry them in the middle and not flat. I didn't think the planks were too heavy (I'm 53), but the 4x8 sheets I used on the soffits sure were; am using aluminum on my house.

I considered buying the prefinished stuff but finally decided on the factory prime to avoid any problems with touchup looking different. That stuff really holds paint well, too. Be sure to use the 100% acrylic latex.

If you haven't already done so, go to their web site and get the installation sheets before you order materials. Good luck.

Bruce

Old 06-21-03, 04:03 PM
I have never installed the shingle style, but I have installed the cedar mill type from Hardi. The installation was not difficult at all, if you have the right tools. Like Bruce said, get the shears. I got mine from ebay for about $130 shipped. The were worth every penny. Not a bit of dust and a very easy cut. Also, a framing nailer makes it much easier and quicker. I used a Paslode cordless, but any air nailer should work. Just make sure the nails are driven in all the way, but not contersunk. As far as breaking the boards, don't worry too much about it. I let a few bend quite a bit with no problems. Get a 10' 2x6 to help carry them if you are still concerned. I hope this has helped a little. Good luck!

Old 06-22-03, 03:44 AM
back_the_pack:

$130 ?! Was that a new shear or used? What brand?

BTW, could back_the_ pack possibly be a reference to the Packers? If so, being from Minnesota and a Vikings fan, could I possible believe anything you tell me? JUST KIDDING! The way the Vikings played last year, I may have to jump ship.

Bruce