Ugly Wood Paneling?

Old 06-21-03, 11:30 AM
MandiM
Visiting Guest
Question Ugly Wood Paneling?

Hi,

We just bought a house and the basement (finished) is covered in the ceiling to floor cheap ugly dark wood paneling. What would be the best easiest cheapest ways to get rid of it? If I paint it how could I cover those dips in each panel (you know the ones that make it look like planks?)? Would it look better or worse if I tried that?
Thanks to those who reply,
*Mandi

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-03, 06:56 PM
Many have painted their paneling and been satisfied with it. Reports of filling the grooves have been mixed as far as how well it works and how good it looks. You might consider simply painting the paneling.

Wash it with spic and span or other cleaner safe for wood. Prime with Zinsser 123 or its equivalent and paint with a top quality latex interior paint.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-03, 05:02 PM
Ugly wood paneling

You can also cover with underlayment material that is paintable. Or, you can cover with wallpaper underlayment and paper. It is a matter of choice. Most folks tend to do a chfite recommends. I have painted paneling in homes in which I have lived in the past. It produces a lighter, neutral background for furnishings and tends to create a better solution to decorating problems.