Contemporary Wood Panel Install

Old 07-07-03, 05:07 PM
LEESGRL
Visiting Guest
Question Contemporary Wood Panel Install

I am about to place 1/4 inch thick beech paneling on my LR wall. The idea is to place 2x2 size squares on the wall in a grid pattern. My problem is, is that I am not exactly sure if I should attach the boards to the studs,(which I am having difficulty locating), or should I just use adhesive and reinforce them with wood nails. If anyone has any info about this I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-03, 05:58 PM
Using 2' x 2' squares won't line up with the studs much anyway. Since you are going to cover the wall anyway, get a stud finder and mark the studs from floor to ceiling with a pencil.

I would use a construction adhesive for the panels and tack them in place into the studs to hold them until the adhesive sets. If you do it right, you might be able to apply the light, 2x2 panels without any nailing.

I assume that the wall you are covering is not all torn up and grossly uneven. If so, furring strips applied to the walls to hold the squares might be in order.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-03, 07:26 AM
LEESGRL
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for the info. I'm going to try your suggestion.

Old 07-13-03, 11:37 AM
I am in the process of hanging knotty pine T&G on my LR walls and to help fasten the boards i snapped chalk lines across the room 2" apart and used a drywall saw to chop out the drywall. I then installed 1/2" OSB strips across the opening to nail into. Since standard walls only have 2 horizontal nailers, this allowed me to have a center nailer. Depending on the thickness of your drywall you could use ferring strips since they are 3/4" or rip some 1x4 pine for openings. This is not much different then how some places install cabinets, etc. Just make sure you caulk the seams on exterior walls to stop any air infultration.