Siding over cement block

Old 07-22-03, 06:44 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Siding over cement block

I'm planning on siding my cement-block house with some type of horizontal board/lap siding. I know that to do this, I'll have to fur strip the exterior to attach the boards to, but wondered how strong the attachment of the boards would be with only 3/4 inch of wood to hammer into (I'll anchor the furring strips with fluted masonry nails). I assume that I would have to use a shorter nail (3/4 inch or maybe 1 inch, with min. 1/4 inch thick Masonite or Hardiboard) than if I were attaching it to a wood frame-constructed house, which would probably use 2 1/2 to 3 inch nails. Is this an issue at all? Will shorter nails result in weaker attachment of the siding? Or, do I need to use longer nails that go through the fur strips and into the cement block? Thanks for any responses.

Mark

Old 07-22-03, 07:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mark,

Have you thought about using a Ramset? This may be the best option, fast and easy. You could use some construction adhesive in cooperation with ramset nails on the backside of your furr strips.

Rule of thumb is that you only need 1" inch of penetration into the concrete. Determine the depth of product and add 1" for correct pin size.

COLOR POWER LEVEL
GRAY LOAD 1
BROWN LOAD 2
GREEN LOAD 3
YELLOW LOAD 4
RED LOAD 5
PURPLE LOAD 6

Note: Higher the number - more powerful the load.

Loads above are for the single .22 cal. Other loads come in .25 cal. (loads in a disc or single shot) and the .27 cal.(loads in a strip or single)
Pin sizes come in the following lengths; ", 1" , 1 1/4" , 1 1/2" , 2" , 2 1/2" and 3". Pins are available with washers as well.

Easy to rent and reasonable for load and pins.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-23-03, 08:13 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Talking

Gee, Doug, I've thought about shootin' the place up sometimes, when I get sick of working on it, but never thought I'd do it for a constructive reason! I didn't initially think of using Ramset, since I was still not sure if it was necessary to go through the furr strips and into the block. That's essentially what I was trying to determine. I figured, if the siding had to be attached to the block, why bother with the furr strips (I guess to make for a level and plumb surface?). If it's necessary to go through the strips and into the block, a Ramset certainly would get the job done faster, and I'd consider it. The neighbors might think it was some local gangbangers going at it, so I'd have to be careful...;-)

Mark

Old 07-23-03, 09:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mark,

First rule of thumb is to Always Advise the Neighbors! You don't need anyone calling the police! You need to keep children out of the work area at all times.

By the way, I would like to point out one more thing, you should probably use 2x2 stock as this will provide more holding power for your siding nails. 3/4" will not be sufficient and more chance of breaking loose in heavy winds. I failed to mention that issue before but I thought I'd say something now.

Have fun shooting!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: