Plank Flooring

Old 08-06-03, 04:21 PM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Plank Flooring

We are planning to install a pine plank floor. The planks are all #1's, and have been salvaged. Full 1-1/2 by 6", 1/4 sawn, random length from eight to sixteen feet.

I plan on back kerfing them with a dado head for relief, adn yes we can accomodate the thickness; doors etc have been set to accomodate, floor joists are 3" by 16" (200 year old construction), on 16's.

Does anyone have any advice. Tongue and groove? Titaniam dioxide finishes? Fastening? Things to avoid?

Thanks

Jack

Old 08-07-03, 06:14 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some thoughts

From what I know, laying a floor of 1.5" x 6" wood will be much different from the typical floor. I think that tongue and groove would be a good idea.

The overall amount that a board wiil expand and contract is a percentage of the width of the board. Somehow the movement of a bunch of small boards like are used typically may aggregate differently than the movement of a few wide boards. Wide boards are more prone to cup than small boards, due to moisture differences from one side to the other. Quarter sawing make take care of that. I would make sure that there is a moisture barrier considered beneath.

You might want to check with a floor refinisher to get some recommendations on the current best finish for the wood. This seems to change all the time. We have pine floors, and they are soft. The finish is holding up well, but I don't know what it is. This is the original finish from 64 years ago.

Just some thoughts. Sounds like a heck of a project. For sure, the floor won't bounce when you walk on it.

Maybe some others can give you some hard advice.

HTH

You are going to need a heck of a nail to fasten them. ~#8?

Old 08-07-03, 08:58 AM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
chfite, thanks for the info, the plan is use a 3" screw, and plug the holes with walnut.

jack

Old 08-07-03, 10:58 AM
cweaver73
Visiting Guest
I cant disagree with the screws with a walnut plug. sounds awesome . . but for a little easier time with the install why not try some "antique cut nails". you can get them made new and they look great.

I got mine that I used on wide floor planking from carlisle flooring. check out the nails at http://www.wideplankflooring.com/acc.cfm

I also like the pure tung oil that I used (search forum for earlier discussions on tung oil vs. other finishes)

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: