Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Beaded panels??

berwin's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

10-19-03, 03:06 PM   #1  
Beaded panels??

I know exactly what I want (I think). There are pictures everywhere of bathrooms that have the bottom halves of the walls covered in what looks like wood paneling painted white. I believe the term is "beaded." However, the manufacturer of the products I have seen that look like this, do not recommend installing it in a high moisture/high humidity area such as a bathroom. The consideration for actual wood paneling in this area is that even with a polyurethane coating it will water mark and perhaps warp. What am I missing?? I have a small bathroom and I wanted to use it around the tub as well as on the other walls.

Sponsored Links
chfite's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,483

10-19-03, 03:54 PM   #2  
Actually, an adequately ventilated bathroom would not be much of a high humidity or high moisture environment. The moist air is transient, since the moisture is all vented within ten minutes of ending the shower or whatever via the fan. Properly installed, capped, and painted or varnished, it should do a good job. I believe that there would be merit in finishing all six sides before installing it, just to cover your bases.

Bead board, as it is often called, is commmonly used wainscot. Properly installed, it should do fine in a bath.

I think that the manufacturer is thinking of an environment wherein the water is splashing on the board. Now that would be outside of the realm of proper use. It certainly is not a tub or shower wall product.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread