CCA Pressure-Treated Lumber Heads-Up

Old 12-04-03, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool CCA Pressure-Treated Lumber Heads-Up

As many of you probably know, suppliers will not be able to order more CCA p-t lumber in another week or two (after about mid-December, I'm told).
It can no longer be manufactured after Dec. 31 due to the arsenic in it, except larger dimension beams, as I understand it.
The new type of treated lumber will be about 30% higher in cost.
If you have any projects coming up next Spring or Summer that you're planning to use p-t lumber in and don't mind the CCA treatment, you may want to stock up a.s.a.p.
(I'll be repairing an Isabel-damaged pier-and-boathouse as soon as weather permits next Spring, and I've just bought the p-t lumber for the job).

Old 12-04-03, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello Mike,

Wow, I hadn't checked pricing on any AC2 treated lumber yet.
I can't imagine why a 30% increase, unless they'll be injecting gold into that there SYP!!

fred

PS: went through your area last month on a fishin' trip to Hatteras. I couldn't believe some of the damage!! I see they finally have the road open to Hatteras Village.

Old 12-05-03, 01:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yep.
Isabel's eye went right over us here in Washington County.
(They're still doing roadside clean-up of the mountains of debris.)
Local oldtimers (even older than me...lol), say that Isabel was the worst storm to do a direct hit here in living memory, even surpassing Donna and Hazel back in '54 and '60.
I'll be doing repairs for while, but since my pontoon boat was totaled, I'm going to get a new one (heh! heh!).
See you.
Mike

Old 12-05-03, 08:30 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Fred,

You're not FAR off.....just wrong metal.....they'll be using a silver based anti bacterial compound from what I've read.

andy

Mike:

Thanks for the heads up.......I do have a deck to do in the spring and will stock up now. I bought a bundle of OSB last year to do a rental house I knew I'd be framing this fall and that was a DEAL.....price at that time was $4.94/sht all over town.....now it runs $15-18 depending on what day you go by Lowe's.

Old 12-05-03, 08:36 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Copper Azoles (Copper Quat) and Copper Borates (forgot the brand name). Needless to say copper is not exactly dirt cheap.

Old 12-05-03, 08:51 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I thought silver based was already in production......It may just be under study.....

see link....

http://www.recyclingtoday.com/news/news.asp?ID=4635

Old 05-16-04, 07:44 PM
S
This copper treatement will be lawsuit-city in a few years. Copper/steel or copper/aluminum exhibit extreme levels of galvanic (battery) action. Highly corrosive relationship.

The borate treatments are coming into their own for protection against the Formosan termite, and I assume borate treatment will eventually win out as the treatment of choice. Non-toxic to humans, it doesn't corrode, and the amount that leaches out of the wood is the secret to combating the Formosan termite (termites can't bridge it with tunnels).

You are allowed the old arsenic treatment on sill plates, so that will still be 'legal'. Trouble is economy of scale; who will carry it and who will buy it? So, the framers will be using steel nails on copper-treated sill plates.

Invest in lawfirms that specialize in product liability litigation. This may rival asbestos and mold. It will be difficult to place blame (builder?, contractor?, vendor?) and EVERYONE will be sued.

Old 05-16-04, 08:13 PM
Copper has not been the problem with pressure treated lumber.
It was the arsenic attached to the copper that caused little if any human problems. There have only been a couple rare cases that found the arsenic to cause harm.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: