Beadboard panelling on Block Wall

Old 02-08-04, 08:14 AM
High Krausen
Visiting Guest
Beadboard panelling on Block Wall

Hello all,

I am planning to put beadboard panelling over a block wall that has multiple coats of paint on it's surface. The lower 6 inches of the wall are below grade. I am trying to avoid using furing strips because I do not want to nail into the block wall. My thoughts are to use a construction adhesive to secure the panelling to the wall. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts, advice, or suggestions for alternatives.

thanks in advance

High Krausen

Old 02-09-04, 09:33 PM
construction hand
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Liquid nails might work if your looking for construction adhesive or if you really wanna get hard-core use a two-part epoxy adhesive but it aint coming off!! My question is how do plan to hold up the paneling while it dries?

Old 02-10-04, 05:34 AM
High Krausen
Visiting Guest
Hi Chinga,

thanks for the reply. In response to your question, I was hoping someone would have an answer to that part of the problem
How long does it take for the Liquid Nails to set?

HK

Old 02-10-04, 09:07 PM
construction hand
Liquid nails takes a long time to set which was the reason i was asking. I cant think of any way to support the paneling while it dries.....the only thing that i can think of is to use 2x4s that go from the floor to the ceiling for a tight fit and hammer it against the paneling to the block wall,, but thats time consuming and difficult. I dont know the reasoning behind you not wanting to nail into the wall but...........thats what i would do in your situation. With a powder acuated nailer its a lot faster and cheaper.

Old 02-12-04, 08:46 PM
D
The construction adhesive may not hold long since the blocks have multiple layers of paint (i.e. the glue may pull off the paint and not actually stick to the wall).

You may want to consider building a wall behind the bead board. (My basement was finished with 2x4 walls all around.) You could attach the walls to floor and ceiling and avoid attaching to the block wall altogether.

The added space behind the bead board would give you other benefits as well.... space for insulation, electric, plumbing, HVAC.

If you really want to minimize the amount of floor space you lose, you could even go with 2x3 or 2x2 wall construction. Again attached the wall at the floor and ceiling, but use you liquid nails to "take the bounce" out of the wall.

Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: