Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

How To: change 'golden' oak trim color...

Old 05-05-04, 07:33 AM
tmontague
Visiting Guest

We are moving into a new house and are having Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors installed (replacing the carpeting) throughtout the entire house. All of the exisiting oak baseboards, trim and stair railings, cabinets, etc. are a golden oak color, and we want to change the color to more closely match or compliment the hardwood floor color and would like to know what are our options for changing the existing stained/poly'd color of the oak trim?

We do not relish the thought of hand stripping 2900sf of trim, or buying all new oak trim and staining to match... and want to know what options are available for changing the exiting color of the existing oak trim. Can it be dipped? sandblasted? stained over?

any advice is appreciated...

Thanks,

Tim M.

Last edited by tmontague; 05-05-04 at 07:34 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 05-10-04, 02:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painted. I'm thinking that's the only real option for using what you've got. Use a chemical primer or sanding pad to give the poly some tooth & paint. Stripping, etc. would surely exceed the value of the trim.

Or just get new and stain how you like. I'd suggest going to a lumber yard (rather than lowes & company) and having it custom sprayed. Not that much more than doing it yourself and you get a better finished product and can see the finished color befor you order. Even pine trim can look pretty good if it's spray finished and that would probably be cheaper than oak. Oak does not take well to imitating other woods by just using their stain color (e.g. cherry)

Old 07-01-04, 02:03 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Im not sure if youve solved your problem or not, but Minwax has their 'gel stain' that sticks to many surfaces..ie previously stained or painted material. Ive used it and it works great. Buy a few small cans and test it on your 'golden oak' to see what works. You just need a dab from the inside lid to see, then return what doesnt work. Thats what Ive done. I had to stain the birch mirror trim, (Ikea) to oak.
Correction.. its the Fleco brand. I just checked my cans...

Last edited by jatco; 07-02-04 at 10:26 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: