Correct nails for finish nailer

Old 05-17-04, 02:02 PM
waterbug
Visiting Guest
Correct nails for finish nailer

I recieved a 16 Ga.finish nailer for Christmas and plan on using it to attach 1X6 tongue and groove aspen to the 2X12 cieling joists (24" centers) on a cabin that we are building. There is no wallboard inbetween, aspin will butt right up to the framing. What would be the proper length nail to use? Is there a table somewhere that lists the proper length for various applications?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-04, 06:02 PM
Use a number 8 finish nail for this task.

Here is a chart of nail by size.
http://www.engineersedge.com/nail_size_chart.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-04, 06:51 PM
waterbug
Visiting Guest
Nails for pneumatic nailers come in lengths and not the normal nail guage numbers. Anyone else have experience with nailers?

Old 05-18-04, 04:53 AM
Nails for my Bostich N60FN pneumatic finish nailer are marked in size and length. As you can see from the chart I sent you, the nail sizes have a length associated with them. From the chart, a number 8 nail is 2.5 inches long.

Old 05-18-04, 04:15 PM
waterbug
Visiting Guest
I saw that and thought that 2 1/2 inches was a little long. Toe nailing into the tongue of the T&G 1X6 would use about 1/2" of length. That would put 2" of nail into the joist. The sales guy at Lowes said 1 1/2 was the right length, but it seemed short to me. I could see the 2 1/2 inch if I had 5/8 wallboard between the 1X6 and the joist.

Old 05-19-04, 12:24 PM
Waterbug,

I just replaced the ceiling on my front porch a short while back with 1x6 T&G beadboard pine attached directly to the bottom of the joists. I used a 16Ga. finish nailer and 2.5" nails. I talked with several people who were in the building trade, as well as my local building material supplier (not Lowes or HD) before I began the project. The general consensus was either 2 or 2.5". It may have been overkill, but it worked fine for me. If you aren't concerned about wiring or plumbing possibly being punctured, I would go for the longer nail. You will be driving them in at an angle anyway if you nail through the tongue.

I'm skeptical about the 1.5" nail. With a 16Ga nail, that's not much holding power. Although I bought high quality material, my biggest challenge was keeping the joints tight, and the extra holding power of the 2.5" nail was appreciated.

Enjoy,

Old 05-19-04, 02:09 PM
waterbug
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I know that 1 1/2 inch nails for wallboard are fairly common and it is quite a bit heavier than pine.