Painting Paneling and Adding Trim

Old 06-09-04, 11:06 AM
FIght4urit
Visiting Guest
Painting Paneling and Adding Trim

I have a wall that is covered in a light wood paneling. I think that the wall behind it is cinderblock. So, I was thinking that the best way to cover up the wood paneling would be to fill in the cracks with caulk and then paint over it. However, I am not sure exactly how to go about this. In addition I would also like to add trim and a chair rail, but it is unclear how to do it on this type of wall surface. Does anyone have suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-04, 09:59 AM
rotarius420
Visiting Guest
paneling

i have paneling in my dining room, i tried to paint it and it looked awfull. so i got some polyester batting and a really pretty fabric and i stapled it on. i had to carefully remove each panel from the wall wrap it and screw it back to the wall. i then placed the chair rail over the fabric and scewed it on. i covered the screws with decrative shells because that was my theme but you could use anything or even just fill it and paint it. i now have beautifull plush walls and the bonus is they cut out alot of noise.

Old 06-13-04, 10:40 AM
Paneling is frequently painted for a fresh look. For the most part, it is painted without modification. It looks nice even with the grooves. Some fill the grooves with joint compound, sand smooth, and paint. You could cover the paneling with a type of wallpaper called a bridging liner, among other names. This will make the surface smooth and be an ideal surface for painting.

If the paneling is mounted to a cinder block wall, it must be on furring strips or glued to the wall. You can install the trim by nailing it to the furring strips or gluing it to the panels otherwise. Position the trim, glue, and tack in place with some short brads to hold it to the wall until the glue sets.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread