sheathing under paneling?


Old 06-28-04, 10:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
sheathing under paneling?

I am repairing an exterior wall with old, thick knotty pine paneling. It will be applied directly to a 2 x4 frame wall with fiberglass insulation with the kraft paper moisture barrier. Someone told me that I need to put thermoply (or some other moisture barrier) between the insulation and the back of the paneling. Is this true? What should I use? I have only taken down a small amount of the paneling and I do not want to buy a huge, expensive roll of something. Also, whatever I use can have virtually no thickness.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-04, 07:15 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
The vapor barrier in the insulation should be sufficient for your needs.

You would not be able to completely wrap the house from the inside, negating the value of any wrap by leaving gaps. Wraps such as Tyvek go on from the outside of the stud wall, anyway.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes