Cost of installing molding

Old 07-12-04, 10:51 AM
YanKee
Visiting Guest
Cost of installing molding

What is the typical labor cost for installing baseboard (6") and crown moldings. One contractor wanted $2 per foot for the basic kind. IS this how they are priced out?

Thanks,
Yankee

Old 07-16-04, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Good question.
I'd be interested to hear from the 'pros' here, on this subject... to see if Im 'undercharging' - or 'overcharging' some of my jobs.
The baseboard is probably easier than the crown moldings (depending on the crown molding profile), but $2./LF seems fairly reasonable....considering what is involved.
Quite often, the client isnt really aware or cognizant of what is really involved with doing this kind of work. Seems 'straight forward', but in reality....can be more difficult than it appears. - But then again, Ive only done this about a 1/2 dozen times...and I may be more 'picky/finicky' about what I do, in relation to what other 'contractors' do... Just my $.02 worth.
Some other things to consider.
Are the baseboards/crowns already painted/stained?
Will there be a need to 'touch-up' after the install?
Will he/she do it...or will you, the client do it?
Will you or the contractor have to move or work around furniture...etc etc.?
...These are some of the things that come into play when 'quoting' a job or getting a price on a job.
...Food for thought!!!
.PS.. how are things on LI.
..Used to be my old 'turf'...more or less!!

Old 07-18-04, 07:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
YanKee,

As jatco mentioned, the cost can be $1 - $2 or more per LF for labor and this depends on one pc or 2 - 3 pc mouldings. It's time consuming and crown moulding is very time consuming to ensure that corners are tight. Working in older homes, this can really be a bear!

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: