Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to stain/bleach wood panelling

Visiting Guest

07-13-04, 10:20 AM   #1  
cmpanska

Hello, is it possible to get a bleached effect on old wood panelling? My 3-season porch has 6 in wide wood panels on the wall. Instead of painting it solid white I'm thinking of staining it so the wood comes through. Thanks
claudia

Last edited by cmpanska; 07-13-04 at 10:24 AM. Reason: add more

Sponsored Links

SC

07-13-04, 11:37 AM   #2  
I am not sure what you mean by the bleached effect. Can you show me an example?

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 08:45 AM   #3  
cmpanska

that's the problem, I don't have a photo, it's just in my head. I'm thinking of a whitewashed-cottage look on my 50s-look wood pannelling. I could paint it solid white but I'd prefer a non-even stained or bleached look.

SC

07-15-04, 07:49 PM   #4  
I would try a pickling stain to achieve the washed-out whitened look. Experiment with it to get just the look you want.

Visiting Guest

08-26-04, 08:53 AM   #5  
mpbro
My house has a lot of previously stained paneling that I'd also like to lighten. I bought a wood bleach kit and will try it on an inconspicuous area.

What is the best way to remove the previous stain? I could sand the flat areas, but the paneling and cabinets have scalloped wood that would be hard to sand. Do I have to just tough it out and get some sandpaper in the grooves, or is there a stain-removing chemical out there?

Thanks,
Morgan

Visiting Guest

11-06-04, 05:10 PM   #6  
Ruth Anne
lightening knotty pinr

One room in our home is all knotty pine. It is quite old, but we would like to keep it. It has darkened over the years. Is there a way to lighten it without sanding down the whole thing? It does have a layer of varnish on it.

SC

11-06-04, 08:43 PM   #7  
To remove the old color, strip the finish and any stain. Stripping should remove most of the yellowing that results from exposure to light.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread