Window casing on cinderblock house

Old 08-11-04, 12:41 PM
Window casing on cinderblock house

Hey, guys. I'll try and make some sense of this.

I've got two aluminum windows in the back room of our house that are just sitting in holes in the concrete wall. The previous owner didn't bother casing in the windows, and just stuck in some strips of wood paneling around the window jamb that the entire room is done in and covered up the edges with corner molding. I want to give them a more finished look, so I took off the corner molding and the paneling strips where the wooden window jamb should be. Now I have to install a window jamb (frame in the windows), but I'm unsure what the best way would be to secure the jamb boards to the blocks around the window. I was thinking ocnstruction adhesive, and maybe some tapcon screws to secure it to the blocks really well. Tapcons would leave a pretty big hole to cover, though, so I'm hoping for a better solution.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm a very inexperienced weekend warrior making this up as I go along.

Last edited by jokun; 08-11-04 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-04, 01:15 PM
Furniturebldr
Visiting Guest
I assume you're using a stained wood, vs painted?

painted would certainly be easier, because then yes, you could tap con it, fill the holes with bondo and away you go.

If you're staining it, you can take a piece of solid oak, say 1/2' or 3/4" route a profile on it, tap con that to the wall, then attach your casing to that making sure you make the solid wood pieces wide enough so when you put the casing on, it doesn't hang over the profiled edge/edges.

Sound like a plan?

Old 08-11-04, 01:27 PM
Furniturebldr
Visiting Guest
I did a quick sketch for you. Keep in mind you want to miter the solid wood that gets tapconed and also miter your casing.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cre...&.dnm=8f74.jpg

Old 08-11-04, 02:15 PM
Lightbulb

Painted, actually. So if I could fill the tapcon holes and paint over, that would be great. I included a quick sketch of what it is I'm trying to pull off. There's a strip of wood that's 3/4 or 1 inch thick (I don't remember off the top of my head) running around the entire opening, then the window. I need to keep to that thickness, or I'm going to be covering the outer edge of the window, and there's not really any room for that.

I plan to rip the jamb to come just flush with the paneling, and then frame around it. The board on the bottom I actually want to make into a decent looking sill (stool?).

Here's the link to my plan. Sorry about the quality of the sketch. I threw it together pretty quick at my dayjob .

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jlokun...&.dnm=3fb9.jpg

Old 08-11-04, 02:38 PM
Furniturebldr
Visiting Guest
Jokun, check your preferences for yahoo pictures. It won't allow me to view it. You may need to edit the preference to say "Public" instead of private

Old 08-11-04, 04:09 PM
Sorry about that. It should be viewable now.

Search this Thread