Re-doing a room with plank paneling

Old 09-18-04, 01:43 PM
Bertros
Visiting Guest
Re-doing a room with plank paneling

I would like to install tongue-in-groove plank paneling in a vertical installation in the walls of my mudroom. The existing walls are wallpaper over drywall. There are doors on all four walls of the room. I am wondering if it would be better to install over the existing drywall or rip it out first. My concerns are these: If I put 1-by furring strips over the existing drywall, and then plank panelling over those, won't the depth of the new wall stick out way beyond the existing door jams and/or outlet boxes? I was thinking that maybe I should take out the existing drywall and install horizontal 2x4's between the studs for support and install the panels on those. But is this a fire hazard, or will it be colder in the winter without drywall?

Help please.
Bertros

Old 09-18-04, 05:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install it over the existing wall surface.

Old 09-19-04, 09:57 AM
C
I agree. Over the drywall.

Old 09-19-04, 02:03 PM
Bertros
Visiting Guest
Do you guys have any advice on how to approach the moulding around the doors now that the new wall won't be flush with the jams?

Old 09-19-04, 05:06 PM
C
Usually a strip is added to the jamb to make wider and the molding reinstalled over the new wood you added.

Old 09-19-04, 05:29 PM
S
2nd that.
Also be mindful, that if your intensions are to leave this unfinished, to age naturally, not to nail the casing to paneling and in the corner, nail inside corners only on one leg of the "L", allowing for expansion.
If you are finishing, allow it to fully acclimate and carfully seal all penetrations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: