Baseboard trim removal

Old 09-29-04, 08:02 PM
Supernovice
Visiting Guest
Baseboard trim removal

Just inherited a house and am a first time home owner. Have alreaady had a bad experience with company that was doing remodeling for me. Very shoddy work to say the least. I am now trying to pick up the pieces myself. I have an older house. My question is my bathroom was remodeled and drywalled (my walls were plaster before). The new baseboard trim that was installed needs to come up because the door trim will need to be replaced and
the contractor did a lousy job spackiling and sanding on the plaster/drywall
interface in the corner behind my door. When I tried to take up the baseboard with a flat pry bar it damged the new drywall. What is the easiest
way and tools required to remove this or any other trim as to not damge the drywall? On removing the door trim should I go in and pry from the reveal side?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-04, 08:39 PM
Insert the pry bar in front of a stud to keep from breaking the sheetrock when removing the base. Door trim should sit on a stud, if the bar is inserted carefully. Start with a stiff putty knife to loosen.

You can always drive the nails through the trim and base with a nail set and lift the trim off. Then pull the nails or sink them.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-04, 09:51 AM
Chris S27
Visiting Guest
Insert the pry bar in front of a stud to keep from breaking the sheetrock when removing the base. Door trim should sit on a stud, if the bar is inserted carefully. Start with a stiff putty knife to loosen.

You can always drive the nails through the trim and base with a nail set and lift the trim off. Then pull the nails or sink them.

Hope this helps.
Yep...only pry off in front of a stud. I just did this in 3 bedrooms, and found a hammer claw to be very useful. Once you've gotten a piece pryed away a bit, insert the claw end and pull, dont pry, just PULL. At that point, they should come away relatively easily. You may have to go around the room and remove nails that stayed in the studs though.

Also, if the walls and trim have previously been painted, it's adviseable to go around the room with a utility knife and score the edge of the trim, where it meets the wall. This will reduce the chances of ripping off paint and drywall along with the base.

Old 10-01-04, 05:55 PM
Supernovice
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. Glad I found this site, everyone seems really nice and helpful in here. Have a nice day.

Old 10-09-04, 08:12 PM
Baseboard removal

For wood baseboard, locate nails and use nail punch to punch nail through. Use pry bar to lift off board. For vinyl glue application you will need a heat gun a scraper to remove. I believe the vinyl baseboard is 4" high, so you will need to replace with a comparable height board to hide adhesive residue if switching to hardwood baseboard.