Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

math required to figure lineal footage

Visiting Guest

10-08-04, 08:03 PM   #1  
normdj
math required to figure lineal footage

I have a room 14 x 17 feet and would like to plank it with pine flooring, 8 or 10 inch widths and 3/4 inch thick. What is the formula to calculate the lineal footage required using 8 inch wide planks and/or 10 inch planks?
Thanks, Norm

Sponsored Links

SC

10-09-04, 02:35 AM   #2  
It would seem that the packages would come marked in square feet.

If you planked it along its length, it would take 357 linear feet. 14 feet divided by 8 inches times 17 feet. But this assumes the room is exactly 14 feet wide and the planks are exactly 8 inches wide. Even with this, you should allow 10% or more for waste.

Hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

10-09-04, 05:57 PM   #3  
normdj
Thanks, Chris. This confirms my math. My supplier was going to order too much lumber. Thanks again, Norm

OH

10-09-04, 06:03 PM   #4  
Estimating wood flooring

Take the length x width to get actual square footage of room. Then, add an extra 5% for waste. That will tell you how many square feet of flooring is needed. 5% extra for waste is industry standard. Width of boards makes no difference if all boards are the same size.

When installing boards over 6" in width. They should be face-nailed and glued because wider boards tend to less dimensionally stable and are more subject to cupping and crowning problems.

Pine tends to be a soft wood for flooring. Go to www.nofma.org to learn more about hardwood flooring, installation, and finishing.

Search this Thread