Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

math required to figure lineal footage

Old 10-08-04, 08:03 PM
normdj
Visiting Guest

I have a room 14 x 17 feet and would like to plank it with pine flooring, 8 or 10 inch widths and 3/4 inch thick. What is the formula to calculate the lineal footage required using 8 inch wide planks and/or 10 inch planks?
Thanks, Norm

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-04, 02:35 AM
It would seem that the packages would come marked in square feet.

If you planked it along its length, it would take 357 linear feet. 14 feet divided by 8 inches times 17 feet. But this assumes the room is exactly 14 feet wide and the planks are exactly 8 inches wide. Even with this, you should allow 10% or more for waste.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-04, 05:57 PM
normdj
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Chris. This confirms my math. My supplier was going to order too much lumber. Thanks again, Norm

Old 10-09-04, 06:03 PM
Estimating wood flooring

Take the length x width to get actual square footage of room. Then, add an extra 5% for waste. That will tell you how many square feet of flooring is needed. 5% extra for waste is industry standard. Width of boards makes no difference if all boards are the same size.

When installing boards over 6" in width. They should be face-nailed and glued because wider boards tend to less dimensionally stable and are more subject to cupping and crowning problems.

Pine tends to be a soft wood for flooring. Go to www.nofma.org to learn more about hardwood flooring, installation, and finishing.