Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

How to attach wall frames to walls and ceiling...

Old 11-09-04, 11:44 AM
dwozniak
Visiting Guest

Hello...

I want to create wall frames on the ceiling and walls similar to the following url:

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?s...t740247&page=4

My question is this: I can't assume always that I'll have a stud to nail to... this is especially true on the ceiling, where studs run parellel to the trim.

How do you attach the molding to the ceiling and walls in these circumstances? Do you use some sort of glue? If so, what glue? The walls and ceiling are drywall and have a new-construction matte paint finish. Also, the molding I am using will not be that heavy... simple panel molding will be the largest type of molding i will be using...

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-04, 02:23 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't glue it, because your molding won't sit flat and the miters won't come together properly.

I would use 1-1/2" nails "If the thickness is 3/4" or less. Anything thicker, I would use a 2" nail. Don't rely on laser levels, because most of them can be out as much as 1/2" in 25'. You'd use the laser to keep a straight line. You can also do this by chalk or a pencil and a straight edge.

I would highly recommend you lay it all out first, before you start marking the ceiling and cutting. Using a scale ruler will give you a good idea of what it will look like.

Old 11-09-04, 02:24 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
P.s. Paint all of your moldings FIRST then attach them. That way all you'l have to do is minor touch ups. "Your neck and arms will be killing ya by the time you're done"