To paint or not to paint...

Old 11-15-04, 05:50 AM
dunnma
Visiting Guest
To paint or not to paint...

My wife and I have just purchased our first home. In looking at the living room, I would like to "spice" things up by adding crown moulding {sp?}. I have two quick questions that I am sure someone here knows.

1. Does the color have to match the base board? i.e. the base board is stained and is real wood, and I would like to use the styrofoam {sp?} moulding which is a lot less expensive. However, the styrofoam version is already painted white and I do not think can be stained.

2. One of the walls in the living room is just a continuation of the hallway to the bedrooms. Another wall is also part of the stair well. Once we figure out this coloring, do we put the moulding up on these walls? If we do, does that mean that we have to go all the way down the hallway, or just the 3 or 4 feet?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and suggestions!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 06:18 AM
dunnma, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
This will end up being an opinion. Myself, I like the moulding to match the ceiling. As far as the distance you run it, again opinions. If it looks funny (and I would think a dead end would) then go the entire distance. If it is not easily seen (around a corner) then dead end it. Same with the stairwell. You have to live there so it's what YOU think that matters. Good luck with your project.

Old 11-15-04, 06:22 AM
dunnma
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your quick response. A little clarification please if you do not mind.

So if the ceiling is white, and the wall is say sage green, then you recommend (I know, your opinion), painting it white, even though the base board is stained (light) wood?

Old 11-15-04, 06:36 AM
It has always been my feeling that crown moulding, like cove moulding, is supposed to represent an extension of the ceiling that makes it fancy. Thats why it's my opinion. I just don't want the moulding to stick out. You probably would not be able to match the color of the baseboard either. Still, just an opinion.