Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

1/4 round molding angle for bay windows

1/4 round molding angle for bay windows

Old 11-23-04, 01:46 PM
nutnbolt
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 1/4 round molding angle for bay windows

I'm trying to find tutorials or instructions on how to measure the angles to cut on the 1/4" round moldings for bay windows.

I know that 45 one way and 45 on another, another way makes 90 degrees corners.

But on a bay window?

Anyone can point me at the right direction. This is hard to explain but I'm stuck.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-04, 02:28 PM
Actually, you need to measure the angles involved and go from there. If the angle is 45 degrees, then cut the two pieces 22.5 degrees and so forth.

Old 02-03-05, 01:54 PM
Standard Bay windows are either 30 degrees or 45. Fold a square piece of paper in half, corner to corner - this yields a 45 degree triangle and will tell you which you have. Your option is to either cut each piece of moulding at one half the angle ( 15 for a 30 degree window or 22 1/2 for a 45) and match them together, or to leave one piece full to the end and cope the other to it.

Old 02-03-05, 02:29 PM
angles

The 45 or 30 angle is the inside wall. Think of the deck of the window
_________
as a trapezoid /_________ \ - longest leg is the one even with wall. Call that A. Opposite/parallel that is the outermost window (on many bays this does not open) - call that C. The two sides are B and D respectively.
a bay is labeled (45 or 30) measuring the angle between A and B, or between A and D.
The angle you are trying to figure is probably the one between B and C or between D and C (they are the same. ) On a 45 degree bay this angle is 135, On a 30 degree bay this angle is 150. Again, either use that angle for the ends of your piece for side C and cope the others (B and D) , or halve the angles and butt them.
Hope that helps.