1/4 round attachment

Old 12-05-04, 07:52 AM
forester
Visiting Guest
1/4 round attachment

What is the proper way to attach 1/2 inch quarter round floor molding? I've got some attached to the baseboards with staples and some with finishing nails. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-04, 08:24 AM
IHI
I've always used finish nails until the Brad gun came out, now everything is done with that.

If you dont want the expense of a $400 finish gun just get some 4d finish nails and hammer away.

Old 12-05-04, 09:08 AM
If you are finishing a large project you can rent a finish gun. Saves the thumbs from countless missed shots. For just a small room I would use the hammer and finish nails.
Good luck and post back if you have further questions

Old 12-05-04, 11:49 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I personally use a pin nailer or aka brad nailer. It uses 18 gauge nails and leaves a small hole. Probably twice as small as a finish nailer. You can pick one up at H.D. for about $100.00. I highly recommend Senco.

Old 12-17-04, 10:32 AM
Justin303
Visiting Guest
Red face Painting 1/4 round

I'm having a contractor install 220 lf of 1/4 round for a flooring project. Is it best for me to paint the 1/4 round (white) before or after he has installed it?

Old 12-17-04, 10:38 AM
IHI
It'd be easeir on your knees if you painted it before he installed. Chances are he's just going to use a brad nailer which will leave a very small hole that can be filled in with white caulk/filler and it should blend right in.

I prefer to have all the material painted/stained before installation because it's easier to touch up and ALOT easier on the homeowner than going back and having to tape everything back off.

Old 12-17-04, 02:50 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I agree with IHI.

Make sure the installer is using a brad/pin nail gun, vs a finish nailer, because the nail heads will be bigger and harder to hide.