Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Finishing nail size?

12-11-04, 06:20 PM   #1  
Finishing nail size?

I've just purchased a Senco 15 ga finish nailer and the smallest box of nails being 3000 which size would be an overall good length of nail to buy for most interior molding? 2 1/2 or 2 inch nails.

Sponsored Links

SC

12-11-04, 06:41 PM   #2  
I would buy the 2-1/2 inch nails, because they can be too short, but not too long. With the number 8, you can nail baseboard. Number 6, 2 inch, would be too short.

Hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

12-11-04, 08:02 PM   #3  
Sawdustguy
For Crown molding, maybe 2" but other than that, there is NO reason to use anything bigger than 1-1/2". We aren't nailing moldings down to stay put in a hurricane. Most moldings aren't thicker than 3/4. If you're nailing the molding into the wall and it's 3/4", then use the 2" but if you're doing molding on cabinetry, there is no reason to use long nails.

For crown, I use 1-1/2 and I haven't had any calls back.

You picked the right choice for the manufactuer of a nail gun.

I use my 18 gauge brad nailer for all moldings. I bought a finish nailer "That Carpenters Use" about 4 years ago and I've used it maybe one time.

I was going to use it for crown, but after seeing how big of a hole it leaves, I went back to my brad nailer.

Search this Thread