Molding and Paneling

Old 01-23-05, 09:48 AM
fourwheelcrazy
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Molding and Paneling

I have a question someone may be able to answer.
I just paneled my basement bedroom and I have small gaps between the ceiling and walls along with small gaps between the walls. I went and bought some 11/16 inside quarter round to cover them up.
My question is, how to I work 3 pieces of this quarter round to meet in one corner? I have 2 horizontal pieces meeting in the corner (ceiling) and I do not know how to work the 1 vertical piece (where the walls meet) into the corner.
Any suggetions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 03:40 PM
It can be tricky, but you could miter all three together. Alternatively, miter the ones on the ceiling and cope the vertical one to wrap over the other two. Take the vertical one and cut it as it you were going to install it as a miter on the other two. Next, cope the underside in a curve to accommodate the shape of the other two. It will work if it is just close. No one looks up, this will be hard to see, and caulk will make paint look wonderful.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-05, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Thumbs up

You can get the vertical piece to fit perfectly by doing a double-cope on it. Assuming you have a miter saw, hold your quarter round so that the rounded part is up, and the point is straight down. Draw a pencil line that bisects the arc of the quarter round. Then cut a 45 off each side, leaving the point of your pencil line as the long point of the 2 angles you cut off each side.

Then using a coping saw, or jigsaw (if you do a lot of coping, a jigsaw works great) cut the back side off of your cuts. It should fit perfectly, no caulk required.... or at least not much.