Converting Basement Stairs

Old 02-07-05, 03:59 PM
Converting Basement Stairs

I was wondering if there is such a thing as "capping" my basement stairs ?(which are the standard wood ones-not oak or maple.........just cheap wood)

Like is there a laminate that I could cover these up with ? And what about the triangular pieces on the sides of the stairs ? Does Home Depot sell something like this ?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-05, 07:48 AM
Not sure about "capping" the stairs, but you can always replace the current treads with new, nicer looking ones as an option. The triangular pieces? Are you talking about the skirt board that goes along the wall at the edge of the stairs or one that goes along the wall below the stairs on an open side of the stairs? Either way, you can always replace (or install if there isn't one now) this with a new board. Depending on how your stairs were framed, it could be as easy as slipping it (1x10 or 1x12) between the edge of the stair and the wall and just cutting the treads 3/4" shorter on that end if there's space between the stringer (the sawtooth board underneath that holds up the stairs) and the sheetrock. Doing it nicely on the outside edge is a little harder, but also doable.

An easier solution might just be to clean up the existing "cheap wood" by filling all holes, sanding it down and giving it a nice coat of paint and shellac.

Depends on how much effort you want to put into it. I'm about to rebuild my entire basement stairs due to headroom issues, and plan to use southern yellow pine for the treads, miter in the skirtboard on the outside edge, pocket-screw risers and treads together, cut and hang new stringers, etc to make it as nice as a basement stair needs to be, even for a finished basement.

Enjoy,
-Sean

Search this Thread