Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Stool on new window. Is it supposed to look like this?

Old 02-09-05, 12:34 PM
jlietz
Visiting Guest

Hello,
I had new windows installed this fall and am just now getting around to installing the trim. I went to Lowe's and picked up some stool. As far as I could tell it was the only stool option in the "Pine - Stain Grade" section. So I assumed that it was a pretty standard part. It is 2 1/2 x 5/8 with an upward angled cut from back to front. Click here for a picture.
I cut a test piece and set it against the window. Because of the angled cut it doesn't sit flat against the window. Click here for a picture. I don't have any stools in my house to compare this to, but I don't remember them being at an angle before. Also the stool doesn't rest against the sash (which I thought it was supposed to) because of a 1/2 inch raised section of the jamb. Click here for a picture.
My question is - Does that look right to you? Did I purchase the wrong thing?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-05, 12:40 PM
jlietz
Visiting Guest
Sorry, but I guess the links didn't work like they were supposed to. I clicked the hyperlink icon and followed the directions, but it didn't work right. Maybe you could copy and paste my URL links to your browser to see the pictures instead.

Old 02-09-05, 12:54 PM
Here is a sketch of how a double-hung wooden window is constructed. You have the correct piece, except the window you bought is constructed differently.

http://************/5wovh

It appears that you need to find a stool that is not beveled. The photograph is not clear in detail. You might check with the vendor of the windows.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-05, 12:55 PM
IHI
LOL, yeah, you got the wrong stuff The stool you purchased is used in older homes that have the existing window frame/sill. On the old home the sills were installed at an angle and came flush to the inside wall covering, that is why there is that angle cut in your stool to compensate for the angle of the old sills so the top is level.

Lest now you can get some money back But you'll have to buy different kind of lumber to finish off the inside part. If you want to keep with the tradiitonal style of stool/apron you'll have to get some 5/4 board and notch how you need it to butt upto the window sash for you new stool. Then trim the rest of the window out as normal.

Old 02-09-05, 01:27 PM
jlietz
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chfite
It appears that you need to find a stool that is not beveled.
Originally Posted by IHI
LOL, yeah, you got the wrong stuff The stool you purchased is used in older homes that have the existing window frame/sill.
Thanks. Is it common for a home store to carry both types? BTW, my windows are Pella, if that means anything (other than that I overpaid .)

Old 02-09-05, 01:42 PM
IHI
As i'm sure you found out when looking at windows before you purchased, they come in as many different shapes and sizes imaginable. As I always tell eveybody, a monkey can install windows and sometimes doors, but the cost of install comes from the expereince to make them look right.

When a contractor deals with X brand windows, installation and finishing becomes easy since they're pretty much the same, even though every situation differs somewhat, they're still kind of the same. It's the imagination, creativity, and esspecially execution that setes us apart from homeowners. Just like I could probably do my own taxes, there's no way they'd be done as quickly and easily to the fullest extent possible as when a person that does it for a living does them.

There are a few different ways to trim out the inside of your windows, but it'll come down to what your trying to accomplish, budget for materials, tools in your arsenal, and how well you know how to use those tools.

Either way, good luck

Old 02-09-05, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
I wish the management here would leave the HTML buttons alone! It's on, then it's off. Make up your mind already!!!

Regarding the stool question, you need to make your own. Buy some S4S 1x2, round the front edges with a 1/4" roundover bit and router (or sandpaper), then glue and nail it to the bottom jamb of your window. Just make sure the length of the stools will extend past your casing (once it goes on) by 3/4" on each side.

Old 02-09-05, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
"Codes" issue

Yes XSleeper, I agree that the use of codes are a bit of a pain right now.

It is not a case of anything changing though.
The codes that allow active links are only turned on in an individual forum where there are moderators and they accept the responsibility to closely monitor what's posted.
We have had problems with the posting of innapropriate links and images and the control of this comes first.

If you look at the first page of this topic you will see at the bottom there are no moderators assigned to this forum.

A tip: If you paste a link into a forum where the codes are not turned on you can uncheck "automatically parse links in text" at the bottom of the page and it won't add the [url] tag.

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Old 02-09-05, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
GregH, thanks for the tip regarding the auto parse checkbox. I wondered why some forums had HTML on, and some had it off. Thanks for the explanation.