Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trim around doors / windows moving?

Visiting Guest

02-17-05, 02:40 PM   #1  
ducati1212
Trim around doors / windows moving?

I pulled down all the old trim around the windows and doors in my house. I bought and put up all new trim and caulked / painted around it so it blended in perfect. Now lots of the windows and doors the trim has pulled away a few millimeters causing the caulking and paint to crack around it. Not a big gap at all but enough to crack the caulking. Is this normal wood shrinking or expanding.? Or I guess the caulking itself could have shrunk and pulled away?I cant imagine what else it could be. The door frames are still square..

any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

02-17-05, 02:59 PM   #2  
I'm picturing that the caulking you are referring to is around the outside edge of the casing, right?

Is the trim nailed to both the door jamb -and- the 2x4 framing around the door? If the trim is not nailed to the framing (through the drywall) with a nail that penetrates at least 1" into the framing, the casing could be flexing as the door is being opened and closed, particularly if the jamb is not secured well.

Aside from that, I'd blame the caulking- especially if it was 99 cents per tube. Cheap painters' caulk and latex polyseamseal seem to get hard and don't adhere to drywall well- especially if it was a very fine bead and you smoothed it down with water and a finger.

Visiting Guest

02-17-05, 03:11 PM   #3  
ducati1212
I did smooth it down with my finger. It was the outside edge where the wood meets the drywal. I wanted to reduce the seam showing make it look universal. I thought it was weird that it pulled away on almost every door and window. As for the nailing I used a finish nail gun with 2 1/4 inch nails. 19 gauge finish nails.

If the caulking is the culprit what is a good caulk to get. I thought I bought the good stuff but I am far from an expert.

Thanks

Group Moderator

NE

02-17-05, 08:31 PM   #4  
Some caulkings do that- I kow exactly what you're taling about. I usually run into this when going back to recaulk the back of countertops where the same thing has happened. Some types of caulking just don't perform well when you run such a fine bead, and feather the edge down to nothing.
A lot of cheap "painters caulks" are garbage. I would recommend something like Dap siliconized acrylic latex caulk.

But if you really want to know what works well, don't take my word for it. I would pose this question in a different forum- perhaps in the Painting forum, under the heading "decorate". Explain what happened, and ask what kind of caulking would be best. It might be a good idea to specifically ask for professional opinions only. If someone says "silicone" you know he's an idiot, because 100% silicone isn't paintable. (ha ha!)

Search this Thread