Lightest weight wood

Old 02-19-05, 10:32 AM
Lightest weight wood

I'd like to make some doors - nothing fancy, basically flat irregular shaped panels for a closet under my stairwell. What is the lightest weight wood that will still be sturdy & not warp that I could use? The larger of the doors will probably be about 70" in height so my feeling is anything less than 5/8 - 3/4" thick will probably bow or warp. I'd like it light in weight because we store kid's toys there & want the kids to be able to open & close the doors easily. I don't know if a tradional hollow core door would work because of the odd size plus its thicker than I'd like.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-05, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Are you mounting these doors like cabinet doors? If so, you could use 3/4" or 1/2" MDF. MDF is heavy, but even so, a kid should be able to pull that open.

MDF is a paint grade material, but if you wanted something that could be stained and varnished, they make 3/4" and 1/2" oak veneer fibercore as well. You would just have to band the edges.

Old 02-19-05, 04:32 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I would be a bit weary of using 1/2" for doors. A few reasons:

It's on the thin side.
If you're using euro cup hinges, the hole needs to be 3/8"-7/16" deep.
If using regular hinges, the hinge screws may end up coming through the face.

If you can find it, there is something called Ultra Light MDF. It's about the same weight as a sheet of plywood and it's paintable just like regular MDF.

Old 02-19-05, 05:35 PM
Yes, I plan to mount them like cabinet doors. I was planning on using cup type hinges so I would need a minimum door thickness. I had a piece of 1/2" thick MDF & it warped so I don't think 1/2" is thick enough. I'm not familiar with ultra light MDF but I guess its worth looking into. Thanks

Old 02-20-05, 12:06 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
The standard that we use in the industry is 3/4" doors with cup hinges. I'd highly recommend you spend the money for Blum hinges. It's a 35mm hole. The outside of the hole, needs to sit 3/16" in from the edge of the door in order to work properly.

You can use the standard hinges up to a 7/8" door. Anything thicker then that, you'll need to use what is called "A thick door hinge", made by blum also, but is made for thicker doors.

You can find blum hinges at

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...&sku=1724&cs=1