Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page > crown molding & intersecting roof lines?

crown molding & intersecting roof lines?

Old 03-06-05, 09:04 AM
jfm617
Visiting Guest
crown molding & intersecting roof lines?

I'd like to install crown molding in a bedroom however the bedroom has intersecting roof lines as part of the ceiling/wall along one side where there is a dormer. Is it possible to correctly hang crown molding in this instance where one of the ceiling/walls joints intersects at roughly a 45 degree angle? If so how is this best done? Ive installed crown molding before and while it can be challenging have not had to much trouble in the past but have never encountered this instance where the walls/ceiling do not intersect @ a 90 degree angle.

Thanks in advance for any replies to what may be a silly question. However one that I simply can't seem to get my head around.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 11:49 AM
Since crown is made to mount on a 90 degree angle, making up the difference with the other-angled ceiling will be needed to give the crown a place to seat. If the elevation is great enough, it may not be noticed that the crown rests against a trim strip along the top. On the other hand, aesthetics may dictate that the run be killed off into the wall in this area, and some other decorating technique be followed. How you do this may be a judgment call on appearance more than on achievement.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread