Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MDF vs. Pine molding?

03-06-05, 06:15 PM   #1  
MDF vs. Pine molding?

MDF or Pine molding? Would anyone recommend one over the other? If so, why?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 06:17 PM   #2  
Sawdustguy
MDF all the way. Pine tends to expand and contract like any other wood and you'll get hairline cracks in time, more than likely.

MDF is a nice flat substraight, which is very paintable

NE

03-06-05, 08:38 PM   #3  
MDF usually comes pre-primed, so you won't have to mess with that.

03-07-05, 05:49 AM   #4  
What about MDF's durability? I know water can be a problem, as it can be with most things, but what about standing-up to the occasional ding? Is it any worse than pine?

Visiting Guest

03-07-05, 06:38 AM   #5  
Sawdustguy
MDF will ding less than pine because it's a harder product. Pine ,you can scratch with your fingernail. MDF isn't so easy.

I wouldn't worry about MDF moldings, unless you're planning on using it for base and you're going to be mopping the area all the time.

04-09-05, 04:13 PM   #6  
I have recently used both and really liked the MDF. It was easy to work with, painted up really nice (painted better then pine) and looks good. It seems durable so far and my 4 year old has already given it a beating! I was told to use pine (also pre primed) for my crown moldings. I had three long runs (20feet each) and the sales guy said the MDF is so flexible that it is hard top hold up and attach on a long run. He said pine was better there. Everything else he said MDF and I was really happy.

Search this Thread