Trim for my stairs

Old 03-16-05, 07:27 PM
ScottyP
Visiting Guest
Trim for my stairs

I am looking to trim my stairs with one piece of wood. How do I do this? Do I buy a 1 x 10 or x12? And how do I determine the rise and run of this trim so it fits correctly ? The stairs are already installed by someone else.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-05, 07:38 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Maybe I'm not following you, because I'm tired, but what exactly do you mean by "Trim your stairs" ?

Old 03-17-05, 12:09 PM
ScottyP
Visiting Guest
trim for my stairs

I have taken the carpet off of my stairs and the new carpet will not cover the sheetrock at the bottom of each step. So I need to run trim down my staircase. I hope this helps.

Old 04-03-05, 07:36 PM
I also have a question about this. We are finishing our basement, adding drywall on the wall bordering the existing stairs. The stairs will then be carpeted. Do you generally try to fill in the gap between the drywall and the stairs by the thickness of the carpet on the stairs? There is no stringer board above the stairs - only below. Is there some kind of trim designed for this? How do people usually deal with this issue? Can you add a piece of baseboard a few inches up the wall parallel to the slope of the stairs and then have the carpet people carpet up the wall when they carpet the stairs? How do people generally deal with this issue? I don't want the stairs to look sloppy and unprofessional.

Thanks!