Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

To Cope Or Not To Cope?

Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 04:50 PM   #1  
kempo
To Cope Or Not To Cope?

Hello;

I am starting my first crown molding project. The room has 10ft ceilings and the crown(7.25" wide poplar) will be stained a dark brown. The dealer said that with the tall ceilings and dark stain that I wouldn't really need to cope the inside corners.

That advice goes against what I have been reading. What do you experts think?

If coping is best---There are two inside corners at 135deg and 67deg. Would I cope those as well?

Thank you!
kempo

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 05:03 PM   #2  
Sawdustguy
You will probably get a 50/50. I'm on the professional side and I hate coping. If my miter is off a hair, I take the same stain that I stained the wood with and color the mitered cut edge. This will help hide any imperfections.

SC

03-22-05, 06:52 PM   #3  
On the other side of the 50/50, coping allows a good fit even if you are off. I believe that it is easier to get a good fit by coping. How about that for balanced responses?

Visiting Guest

03-23-05, 02:02 AM   #4  
kempo
Thanks for the replies!

My wife said that she wanted to fine tune the coped corners(what a woman!) and that's fine with me.

kempo

03-23-05, 05:06 PM   #5  
I'm personally split 50/50 LOL!! I hate the time involved coping, but they make an excellent fit that just about anybody can do.

Sure makes inside corners on out of square situations easy to deal with

Search this Thread