Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

some advice on wainscotting would be great

Old 03-28-05, 06:20 PM
bryanc
Visiting Guest

Howdy:

I am installing some wainscotting in a small bedroom we are remodeling for our coming baby.

We have thick, old, drywall that crumbles when I drill into it. I am not worried about making a mess, because the rugs are going and we will eventually be sanding and refinishing the hardwood floor underneath.

My question is this: I have been doing some research, and it seems like beadboard paneling would be the easiest, right? What are the drawbacks? Does it look real? Does it matter if I plan on painting it anyway? Or is it worth it to just go full tilt, pull the drywall out where the beadboard will go, put in some horizontal nailing strips, and do it the old fashioned way. I am not sure, because I plan on painting the trip, so having a real wood appearance does not matter much to me.

Next question: is this something that a person with intermediate experience remodeling can do. I mean, I built a deck with my brother-in-law (he's a carpenter), and I've built other stuff around the house, including crown moulding (gotta tell you, I don;t think I did such a good job ont he crown moulding, and I think the compliments I get form people are just because they are being nice).

anyway, some advice on whether real T&G beadboard is worth it would be nice.

Bryan

Old 03-29-05, 10:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Beadboard

Once you compare the cost of beadboard versus beadboard paneling, you will likely go with the paneling. Too, since you plan on painting, the paneling should look very nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: