Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Gaps at top between wall and baseboard

Old 04-01-05, 06:44 AM
harleynut
Visiting Guest

I am installing baseboard and occassionally run into a problem where I can't get the base to fit snuggly up tight against the wall and you can see a gap along the top edge. This most commonly happens when the wall is a short run between two corners and the mud is a bit thicker on the ends. I am using a custom oak base that is 3/4" thick and 5" high so it can be a bit tough to "bend" into place.

Any tips for avoiding or correcting this?

Old 04-01-05, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If its happening because of the drywall mud, the taper can usually get called back to fill them. Occasionally, if a corner is REALLY bad, I'll cut the tape right at the top fo the base, and chip that mud out of the corner with a putty knife so that my base will go back into the corner a little better. But that doesn't always look very good. If it's happening on a straight section of wall, about the only thing you can do it put a nail into the wall at the sill plate (when you're between studs).

It should go without saying, but make sure the floor is swept out- sometimes a surprise piece of rock that you didn't notice will keep your base from laying flat.

Old 04-02-05, 03:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can also caulk the gap between baseboard and wall. Use a paintable caulk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: