Urethaning Stairs - 2 coats ?

Old 05-30-05, 06:23 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Urethaning Stairs - 2 coats ?

I know I have to urethane my basement stairs after I stain them but my question is I still have some work to do in my basement (a final coat of paint, etc.....). Should I just urethane it once for now........cover it , and then when I'm done all the painting, fixtures, etc........do a final 2nd coat ? In other words, can I give it one coat now, wait say a month, and then give it a second coat ?

Last edited by future; 05-30-05 at 07:03 PM. Reason: wrong section......can on of the mods move post ?
Old 05-31-05, 05:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
i would do the painting first then do the stairs.

Old 05-31-05, 06:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It is always nice to do the stairs last but it doesn't always work out that way. If you stain and seal the stairs before completing all the other work save the final coat for last. I always prefer to use 3 coats. It is harder to get a slick durable finish with just 2.

Old 05-31-05, 05:29 PM
F
Originally Posted by marksr
It is always nice to do the stairs last but it doesn't always work out that way. If you stain and seal the stairs before completing all the other work save the final coat for last. I always prefer to use 3 coats. It is harder to get a slick durable finish with just 2.
Great........thx guys.

Old 06-01-05, 05:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
for the finish used floor type polyheuratane harder to resist

Old 06-01-05, 05:54 PM
F
I have oil based urethane which seems to be going great. I'm finished my 2nd coat of urethane but might want to put a 3rd on (maybe I'll just do the toppers only ?). Which grade sand paper do I use for the last sanding job........I think I used 220 for the other sanding stages.

Old 06-01-05, 05:56 PM
F
Originally Posted by pgtek
hi
i would do the painting first then do the stairs.
pgtek.....I would never do the painting first b4 urethaning.......what happens if some paint drips on the stairs ?

Old 06-01-05, 06:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
220 grit should be fine for final sanding. Don't forget to remove dust before appling finish. If paint gets on unfinished wood it just means extra sanding to prep it for stain. As long as the risers look and feel fine it is ok to just give the treads a 3rd coat.

I've worked for builders that swear the floors need finishing first and others that wait until everyone is done. Floors done first means everyone has to be careful and not mess them up. If it is done last the painter still has to come back and touch up behind the floor finishers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: