Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Newbie with TONS of picture frame molding questions!!

Old 05-15-05, 04:03 PM

I'm about to embark upon putting up three large picture frame molding to help break up a big wall. The moldings will be 4 x 5 ft. Now.........I know I want them white. A bunch of questions: do I buy them already painted or primed (then paint them with glossy before putting them up)? Do I cut them BEFORE painting them? Do I trust Home Depot or Lowes to make the exact cuts for me? I have a friend who can lend me a nice mitre saw (electric) but I have never used one before. Do I paint the walls inside and outside the framing AFTER or before the framing? I'm pretty sure after because I'll have to caulk around the molding and I can paint after that's dry. And, what's the best caulk to use that will dry quickly enough so I can start taping off and painting within 2 or 3 days? THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-05, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
>>do I buy them already painted or primed (then paint them with glossy before putting them up)?

If you can get them preprimed, that's usually helpful. If not, it's no big deal. You will just have to sand them and prime them yourself.

>>Do I cut them BEFORE painting them?

No. Paint the linear lengths the color you want them before cutting them to length. That way you will only have to fill nail holes and touch up the trim once you have it installed.

>>Do I trust Home Depot or Lowes to make the exact cuts for me?

Absolutely not. Cut it yourself. If your 3 "picture frames" will be roughly 4'x5', either get 3pc 8' and 3pc 10' or get 6 pc 9'. Be sure you allow some extra length on the end of each cut for waste. Depending on the lengths available, you might want to adjust your sizes accordingly so that you don't end up with a lot of scrap.

>>I have a friend who can lend me a nice mitre saw (electric) but I have never used one before.

Borrowing the saw is an excellent plan. Just be very careful with it... measure twice... cut once.

>>Do I paint the walls inside and outside the framing AFTER or before the framing?

If the walls will be the same color inside as outside, paint the entire wall first. If The outside and inside colors will be different, determine exactly where the moulding will be. Level and mark a line across the tops, then measure down and mark a line across the bottoms. Determine where your sides will be, and using a framing square, mark where each side piece will be. If your line represents the CENTER of your moulding, you should be able to paint one color on one side, then once that is dry, paint the other color inside the line. Sounds complicated, but its not. Painting first will mean you will only have to touchup later.

>>what's the best caulk to use that will dry quickly enough so I can start taping off and painting within 2 or 3 days?

Regular latex painter's caulk. Look for one that has a long life (25 year, etc.) Cut a very fine tip and only use caulking where you absolutely have to.

Old 05-16-05, 09:20 AM
Thanks so much for all the great info! I'll be following all of your advice. Here's another question (laugh at the ignorance if you need to!!!): I have 9 ft ceilings and am wondering how to nail the vertical pieces into the wall when they don't match up to a stud?? Do I have to glue them or am I missing something??
Thanks, again.

Old 05-16-05, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, the best thing to do is to glue them. If you have a flat surface to work on, you can assemble the frames elsewhere, then bring them into the house to install. Glueing and toenailing your miters (nail down into the top corner, up into the bottom corner, and in through the sides of all) will help to hold things together at the miters. This usually works best with a smaller (1 1/4") finish nailer.

Once the wood glue is dry and they are ready to install, bring them into the house and check to see how they line up with the lines you put on the wall. Put several penny sized "dots" of construction or panel adhesive on the wall, perhaps 12" apart. Place the panel on the wall, check it for level, then if you are using a 2" finish nailer, nail the panels in place by first nailing the top and bottom pieces into the studs. Then elsewhere, nail from each side into the drywall at an angle ( creating an "X" ) which usually helps hold the piece into the glue until it sets up. You can also use masking tape or painters' tape to hold it until the adhesive sets up.

In order to ensure the panels line up along the bottom, you could cut a piece of plywood as a shim so that you have something to set the panels on when you go to glue and nail them in place. 2 pieces of plywood nailed together to form a "T" work well as a jig so that you get all 3 the same.

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-16-05 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 02:53 AM
thanks for the info! I don't have a flat place to lay the rectangles out.....so I thought I'd start by installing one trim piece at a time. I just hope my mitre cuts are good and that they match up with each other LEVEL! If not, I just fill the little gap with caulk, right? Also, my walls are pretty wavy. I'm afraid that, as I nail the trim to the wall, the waves will make my ends pop up and malalign. What do I do about that??
THANKS!

Old 05-20-05, 12:03 PM
Trim tends to be flexible. If the ends pop off of the wall, try some construction adhesive to hold them in place. Some of the adhesives hold more aggressively if applied then pulled apart for a short time before adhering.

Old 05-21-05, 03:23 AM
Thank you both so VERY much!!