baseboard height off floor

Old 05-23-05, 01:11 PM
g34
Visiting Guest
baseboard height off floor

I am almost done finishing my basement and just need find out a simple question. What height off the foundation floor, do I measure up to install baseboard? I have already installed ceramic tile on half of the floor and the other will be carpet once this gets up.

Thank you in advance for any direction provided.

Old 05-23-05, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
How thick will your carpet be, and will it have a pad? Will it be glued down, or stretched onto a tack strip? 1/2" is normal if there will be a tack strip, but if the carpeting will be glued down with no pad, 1/4" might be better. Regarding the tile, Do you plan on putting a baseshoe on top of the tile once the base is installed? In my experience, if the base is installed on top of the tile and the base continues on over the carpeting, the bottom edge of the base needs to be ripped down on a table saw so that the top edge of the base will continue at the same level. Also, you have to have a very straight tile floor or else the gap under the base will look pretty bad. Baseshoe would hide this.

It also kind of depends on how thick the tile is. You might be able to just install all the base 1/2" up, the tile might just fit under it (or butt up to it) and if you use a tack strip, that would work for the carpeted side too. But you still might want a baseshoe over the tile... it just depends.

Old 06-01-05, 05:51 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think you're asking about the height of the baseboard where the carpet is going to go ? If so, I usually put a piece of drywall (5/8") under my baseboard, then nail the sucker in and remove the drywall piece.

Old 06-01-05, 06:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
Since the tile is installed over concrete and not wonder board the tile height and carpet height will likely be the same. Check with your carpet installer/supplier to be sure. If you don't want to use shoe mold on the tile you can grout the bottom edge of the base to the tile.

Last edited by marksr; 06-01-05 at 06:35 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 08-01-05, 08:43 PM
stanallig
Visiting Guest
putting base down before hardwood is installed

Yes,I was wondering if someone could tell me if i can put base down before the hardwood floor is installed.It also will have shoe.Also what height do I need to install it. Thanks for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: