Nailing trim into drywall

Old 06-03-05, 10:52 AM
timbodale
Visiting Guest
Nailing trim into drywall

I put a new mirror in my bathroom and I'm framing it in with trim. I'm using a 16 guage finish nailer, and in some parts of the trim it's working fine. But some portions of the trim will pull out of the wall with very little effort. It's like the brads aren't gripping the wallboard. They go in straight, but they'll pull right out. Is there something I'm missing? How can I get the trim to stay in place? Different type of brads? Glue? Thanks in advance for the advice...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-05, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Trim won't hold very well if you are just nailing into your drywall. Try to locate the studs and nail into them when putting up the top and bottom pieces. Glue and toenail your miters together with short pin nails. If you need to use some construction adhesive, you will probably only need it on the side mouldings, since they are likely completely between the studs. Just use a dot of glue every few inches- not enough to squeeze out and make a mess. It might also help to cross nail the trim- nailing at a 45 one way, then at a 45 the other way to create kind of an X with the nails. Doesn't work great, but will help hold it until the construction adhesive dries. You could also hold the trim down with masking tape until the construction adhesive sets up. Good luck

Old 06-05-05, 03:38 AM
I asked a similar question a while back and XSleeper answered the same. It works!!!