Matching Crown Molding to Baseboards

Old 06-09-05, 01:32 PM
jiggageorge
Visiting Guest
Matching Crown Molding to Baseboards

I have recently purchased a 1929 Tudor in Minneapolis. The crown moldings in the entire house are painted white while the baseboards are stained a dark wood color. The doors, window frames, rest of wood work matches the baseboards as well. My question is asthetically, which is more appropriate: leaving as is (white crown molding, dark stained baseboards) or painting baseboards white to match white crown molding. At this point stripping paint off crown moldings is not an option.

Your advise would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped.

Old 06-09-05, 02:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the crown was added and someone didn't want to pay for stain grade.

My question is asthetically, which is more appropriate: leaving as is (white crown molding, dark stained baseboards) or painting baseboards white to match white crown molding. At this point stripping paint off crown moldings is not an option.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or something like that.

My personal preference is to not paint trim at all, I cringe at the thought of painting over beautifuly done trimwork.

Old 06-09-05, 03:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One is not 'more appropriate' than another. Either works depending on your taste. New crown might be easier than painting doors,windows and baseboard, in my opinion.

Old 06-09-05, 06:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
There is nothing wrong with leaving it like it is [providing everything is in good shape] IMO if you painted the base then the rest of the trim will look out of place. Sometimes crown is painted white to give the illusion of lowering the ceiling [when it is over 8' high]. Biggest thing to remember it is your house and you don't have to please anyone but yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: