Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page > will nails chip plastic coating on masonite paneling?

will nails chip plastic coating on masonite paneling?

Old 06-13-05, 12:25 PM
will nails chip plastic coating on masonite paneling?

I want to put up some beadboard style white plastic coated paneling in my bathroom -Not all the way up the wall, only about 3' around the bottom. Do I use the 1 1/2 inch finishing nails in addition to adhesive or will that chip the finish? Also, should the seams be caulked or covered with a strip of moulding? I'm going to have to cut it lengthwise (rip it) too and I'm afraid that might also chip the finish. Will taping it with masking tape along the cutting line prevent that? I greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 09:14 PM
The finish nails will hold the panel until the glue sets. Make yourself a piece of cardboard with a slit in one end to hold the nail while you drive it. The cardboard will protect the finish from errant hammer strikes.

A line of masking tape along the cut line will help, but it is important to cut the material with the blade cutting into the finish you want to protect. For a circular saw, keep the finished side down. Keep it up on a table saw.

If the joints are tight, you will need neither caulk or slat. Otherwise, there is an "H" shaped channel that can be used to receive both sheets of paneling where they join. This may look as good as the alternatives and be simpler to incorporate into the overall design.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-13-05, 10:17 PM
Great suggestions! Thank you Chris. ...love the cardboard idea.
Will a jig saw work?? I hope so, because it's the only power saw I have Since there's only one or two cuts I have to make -- maybe a hand saw would work better??

Old 06-14-05, 04:40 AM
one more thing -- about how long does it take the adhesive to dry?

Old 06-14-05, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you use a jig saw it is important to use a fence/guide to insure you cut a straight line. Clamping a board across the panel will work well for this, don't forget to allow for the space between the blade and the guide. The label on the adhesive should tell the drying time.

Old 06-14-05, 09:44 AM
Thanks for that tip marksr! what kind of blade should I use?

Old 06-14-05, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The smaller the teeth the smoother the cut.

Old 08-06-05, 07:13 PM
also, make sure the teeth point INTO the finished side, else you'll chip the hell out of it. have fun

Search this Thread