Contractor caulking a 3/4" gap??

Old 06-14-05, 05:19 AM
RChris57
Visiting Guest
Angry Contractor caulking a 3/4" gap??

Hello,
we are usually do-it-yourself'ers, but decided to hire a contractor to finish out our basement. I am underwhelmed in the quality of work.

On our trey ceiling, we had moulding installed, and in one of the corners there is a gap that is about 3/4" wide. It has already been caulked, and painted. It that acceptable? I can't think that it is....

We are going to make him redo the moulding...but I must say...I am so disappointed in these 'professionals'. Paint work subpar....etc. We are going to make 'em fix everything before final payment. (these guys had a large ad in the yellow pages, and seemed very professional)

Ronda

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-05, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are all kinds of professionals out there. I believe some are only pros at selling the job. Occasionally wide gaps are necessary to caulk [usually in industrial applications] but a backer rod is always required. On residential work caulking should only be needed to make the work look better, not to replace craftsmanship. There is an old saying among painters that with enough caulk you can make anyone a carpenter. Since you still have their money you should be able to get them to fix things to your satisfaction [if they are able]. As you probably already know it is always best to have references before hiring anyone. Wish you luck