cove molding

Old 06-27-05, 05:33 PM
STUCK
Visiting Guest
Unhappy cove molding

trying to cut cove molding to fit on the stairs above the "side board" not sure exactly the name of this piece, but it is the side board running from the bottom of the steps to the top. the angle at the bottom of the steps is 40 degrees. how do i cut this piece so it fits????? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-05, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forum

I have always heard the side board reffered to as a skirt board. I'm not a pro carpenter but if I understand your question correctly, the moulding needs to connect with a piece from the floor that is at a 90` angle. If the long peice is cut at 40` the short one should be 50`. Don't take my word for it but cut 2 pieces of scrap and double check the fit.

Old 06-28-05, 07:26 AM
I read the first reply and thought, 'yep, thats right'. lol. So I too often have trouble with these odd cuts. But of course, a 40 degree cut will never match up to a non-40 degree cut. Both angles on trim work must match, i.e. 42 and 42, or 47 and 47, etc.

If I understand it correctly, you need to cut the two mating ends at 25 degrees.

90 - 40 = 50

50 / 2 = 25

And as mentioned, do cut some scrap at 25 to test for a good tight fit before cutting your final stock.

Search this Thread