column post needing to be secured

Old 07-04-05, 05:24 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
column post needing to be secured

I have 2 support beams in my basement that I have to hide. I bought the column posts (MDF) decor from Home Depot.......was just wondering how I secure the post in place once I wrap it around ?.........was told to use that expanding foam both at the bottom and top to prevent it from moving once it's set.....but not 100% sure

Old 07-05-05, 07:20 PM
C
If this wrap for the post is two halves to fit around the post without any trim at the bottom or top, then you will cut the wrap to fit the post exactly. Then the halves will fit precisely between the ceiling and floor, requiring nothing to keep them from moving vertically. I imagine that the two halves are fastened together somehow.

Something of this nature seems that it would have some sort of trim for the top or bottom to enable cutting the halves just shy of an exact fit. In that way, the halves would more easily be placed. Then shims would be used to fill the void and the trim applied around the post to hide the shims and finish the project.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-05, 04:30 PM
F
Thx chfite for the reply......you're right, they are 2 halves that have a groove that fit into each other nicely.........I've already put carpenters glue inside the groove, temporarily taped around it to give it a secure snug, then sanded the joints down...........I understand your idea about shims along the top and bottom, but would that withstand a good knock (from my son for example playing hockey and bumping into it ?). I was also thinking about siliconing the top and bottom but I really wanted to spray some of that expanding foam (that they use for insulation around windows). I would only spray some from the bottom and some from the top that way any excess foam will spread itself to the middle.

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-09-05 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Quoting entire post is distracting and redundant

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: