trim questions Please help!!

Old 07-06-05, 05:29 AM
trim questions Please help!!

I'm putting picture molding on a huge wall I have. 3 areas of 4 x 5' each. Questions are: Do I use my mitre saw (electric) to make the 45 degree cuts and nail each piece as I go or cut them all first? Also, which pieces are recommended to install first, the horizontals or the verticals? Last question (at least for now!), where in the molding do I nail? The thickest part near the outside of the frames or the thinner part? THANKS so much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-05, 06:28 AM
Are you thinking of a faux (fake) wainscoting trim box? Meaning, essentially a picture frame attached to the lower wall.

Old 07-06-05, 07:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cut all your pieces first. Install the piece that your eye will pick up first. If the top piece is close to a chair rail install it first so the distance between the picture frame and chair rail is even. If there are any variances you want them in the least noticable spot.

Old 07-07-05, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely install the top ones first as they should line up with the ceiling. We have 9 ft ceilings and these three frames will have 2 1/2 in. trim and be towards the top, not the bottom, of the wall. Again, do y'all agree that I should cut them ALL first and then install?? Also, nail on the thickest or thinnest part of the molding? I'm worried about gaps.
THANKS!!

Old 07-07-05, 04:45 AM
Cut them all first and lay them out on the floor to insure the 4 corners meet to form tight joints without any gaps, while forming the completed rectangle/square.

For 2 1/2" trim, nail both edges, using a smaller nail on the thin edge.

If you have never made a 4 sided trim box before, I suggest you practice to insure you have your measuring/cutting technique well understood. The opposing pieces need to be perfectly identical in length. While this may sound 'simple', it can be a show-stopper for beginners.

Old 07-07-05, 10:45 PM
You should cut all the pieces first. Use a saw stop. That's a block of wood or something clamped to your bench so that when you extend the workpiece across your miter saw it will stop at the length you wish. Cut all your long pieces then reset your stop and cut all the short pieces.

If you can't set up a saw stop then you can do what I do for short pieces. Take two pieces and tape them together back to back. Then cut them together. They will be the same length. Cut all your sides in pairs and assemble them as pairs. One pair of longs and one pair of shorts go together to make one rectangle. The opposite sides will be the same length.

Install the top first using your level. Then install the sides using your level to keep them plumb. Thes sides will most likely miss any studs so put a liitle construction adhesive on the back and put your nails in at an angle to pull the pieces tight. Don't nail off the bottom of the legs until you fit the bottom piece. You'll need a little wiggle room to close the corners nicely.

Good luck