Bathroom Panelling

Old 07-13-05, 09:43 AM
Hagbard
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Panelling

Hi, I am currently about to embark on the last part of my bathroom redesign and was wondering what to use in the way of panelling around the sink.
The sink is a semi counter-top sink and is not in a purpose built carcass so it will need a front board (with an appropriate cut out for the sink) and some edge trim around the side. I have some simple white glue-on edging strips which should be big enough but I am trying to figure out what to use for the front board. I had looked at pre-laminated panelling (high gloss) but I would need to buy a far larger piece than I want and then cut it down so I was wondering if there was a way to apply a laminate surface to it myself. It's about 800mm x 200mm. I know it can be done in general, but I want to be sure that this will be water/moisture proof and last a long time, so any specific advice on products or technique would be very useful.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

David

Old 07-14-05, 10:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unless you have access to scraps of high pressure laminate, the cost of these sheets and their attendant sizes will create the same problem you have with the other panel material. You will have to cut what you need and have the rest as scrap.

Old 07-16-05, 02:19 AM
Hagbard
Visiting Guest
How about alternatives ...

Okay, that's a fair point, but what about alternatives for small areas such a some form of lacquered paint work ?

David.

Old 07-16-05, 07:51 AM
C
You could take a panel and paint it. Primer coat, then some top quality gloss enamel. Sand 240 grit between coats to make a smooth, flat surface. The third or so coat should lay on smooth as glass. Use a top quality brush. By using paint, you can have this any color you want.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-05, 07:06 PM
louisiana pacific (formerly georgia pacific) makes a few different types of moistureproof paneling specifically for bathrooms and such. just ask at your local home center. hopefully they'll have something on display. if i follow you right, all you should need is one sheet that you could just cut to fit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: