Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fiberglass paneling

Visiting Guest

08-07-05, 02:33 PM   #1  
remodel mama
fiberglass paneling

I have fiberglass paneling (I think that's what it's called...that comercial type paneling...white bumpy stuff), between my kitchen cabinets and behind the stove. #1. can this stuff be painted? #2. If so, does it need to be sanded and/or primed? #3. What type of paint can be used? (looking for something that is durable to cleaning) #4. Could it be spray painted with a metalic or chrome paint? any suggestions would be great....Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-13-05, 12:08 AM   #2  
Boxarocks
Paint FRP?

The Paneling is called FRP.
With proper prep it can be painted, but why would you?
The product is designed to cleaned aggressively, & can be bleached or acid washed.
I'm not sure of which primer to use, so you will have to research further.

Super Moderator

CANADA

08-13-05, 05:07 AM   #3  
remodel mama,

FRP panels are fibreglass and have a gel coat finish just like boats or hot tubs.
To get paint to adhere you would have to sand the entire surface and use a primer that is good for fibreglass.

You might find that it would be easier to remove or cover with drywall.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

08-16-05, 07:27 PM   #4  
remodel mama
Thank you for your responses. The reason that I want to paint it, is that we just did some updating to the kitchen, and the cabinets are white while the frp is a yellowish white and it just looks dirty compared to the stark white of the cabinets. If I sand and prime it good, do you think it will hold up to cleaning? It is located behind the sink and stove as well as between the upper and lower cabinets. Also would I have to use marine expoxy paint? (Used that before on our tub....not so easy to work with on vertical surfaces ) thanx again for your advice!!!!

Search this Thread