Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crown Molding & Base Molding

PA

08-08-05, 11:13 AM   #1  
Crown Molding & Base Molding

Hi. Two questions...

1. Is it customary to caulk the top of crown molding between the molding and the ceiling?

2. What tool could I use to cut a notch out of base molding? I do not want to pull of the base molding to do this. I have case molding that will run perpendicular to the base molding, but I don't want the case molding to rest on top of the base molding - I want to cut a notch so it sits in it. (hope that makes sense)

Sponsored Links

08-08-05, 03:26 PM   #2  
1. No, but it's done whenever when the crown is not installed flat against both the wall and the ceiling.

2. You will have to be more specific about your base and casing intersecting the way you describe. I can't visualize what you are doing.

Group Moderator

NE

08-08-05, 03:59 PM   #3  
1). If the crown moulding is paint-grade? yes. If the ceiling is not perfectly straight? Yes. If the ceiling is not straight and the crown is stained, the crown is sometimes masked off, the ceiling is caulked, painted ceiling color, then the masking is removed.

2). Perhaps a japanese pull saw (shark saw) I believe Home Depot has some pull saw made by Irwin. If I understand you correctly, you want to cut a 2 1/4" section out of your baseboard so that a piece of casing can run directly to the floor?

PA

08-08-05, 04:18 PM   #4  
Posted By: XSleeper 1). If the crown moulding is paint-grade? yes. If the ceiling is not perfectly straight? Yes. If the ceiling is not straight and the crown is stained, the crown is sometimes masked off, the ceiling is caulked, painted ceiling color, then the masking is removed.

2). Perhaps a japanese pull saw (shark saw) I believe Home Depot has some pull saw made by Irwin. If I understand you correctly, you want to cut a 2 1/4" section out of your baseboard so that a piece of casing can run directly to the floor?
Thanks for you reply.

The molding is painted white semi gloss and the ceiling is white. I guess I will caulk since the ceiling is not very straight- will get rid of the slight gap in areas.

I want to cut a 2 1/4" section but not all the way to the floor. I just want to cut the curvey part(top) of the molding off and insert the case molding into the little cut out. I will check out the shark saw. Thanks! I see it might be easier to cut it all the way to the floor with a shark saw.

Last edited by Denman007; 08-08-05 at 04:34 PM.

Group Moderator

NE

08-08-05, 05:10 PM   #5  
Your caulking job will look best if you mask off the trim and the ceiling with painter's tape, caulk, then tool the caulking so that it's perfectly flat (plumb)with the front edge of the crown moulding. That way it will blend in with the moulding and won't be obvious. Use latex caulk, and a glazing knife to tool the caulking. Dip the glazing knife in a glass of water to keep it slick as you tool.

illustration: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=af9d&.dnm=3f8f.jpg

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-08-05, 07:04 PM   #6  
Make sure you use a good grade of caulking. Atleast siliconized acrylic or better urathane caulk. As a profesional painter I've seen caulk fail more on crown moulding than anywhere else.

Search this Thread