Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What type of nails to use for crown moulding

Visiting Guest

08-23-05, 01:31 PM   #1  
jconcep
What type of nails to use for crown moulding

what size/type nail are best for crown moulding? also is it best to use a nail gun or just a regular hammer with pre drilled holes?

Sponsored Links

SC

08-23-05, 04:03 PM   #2  
Usually number 6 or number 8 finish nails, depending upon where on the molding it is being nailed. Using mounting blocks would affect how it is nailed. A brad or finish nailer is less likely to mar the wood than would a hammer.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-23-05, 04:35 PM   #3  
The predrill/hammer method will also take a lot longer. A word of warning though, be careful near the ends of the trim. If you're dealing with a hardwood, like oak, you might want to predrill and hammer there.

I cope inside corners of crown, so I can stay away from the end 6 inches with no problem. On the outside corner though, I use wood glue and miter clamps. This keeps the corner tight. If there is blocking in the ceiling, you can nail into that (or ceiling joists, if available).

In any case, use your metal nail set to roll the outside corner once it's in place. This will make any gap between the two pieces, disappear.

Search this Thread